Tuesday 5 July 2016

Trying to get a grip on a healthier me!

No, I am not on a health freak trip. No I am not fanatically racing off to the gym every day and NO I am not suffering from any eating disorder. I am approaching the mid 60-ties and notice that my body and my health are not quite lined up.

I am overweight. Not by more than 10 kg but then - 10 kg is 10 kg too much.

So that means I need to get a grip om myself before things get out of hand. "It slowly creeps up on you". I have heard that said often and really do understand. Yes, I have 'caused' this excess to settle around my waist and YES I am responsible - but it still did just slowly creep up on me and I have decided that SOMETHING needed to be done to avoid a further slide 'up' the scales so to speak.


And I am not alone in my plight. Many many women ( and men but let them tell their own story) who have passed their menopause notice changes to their body that for some are cause for distress. Some just can't seem to get the pounds on - and others just have to look at a piece of apple pie and gain weight. Our shape also seems to change even though some of our weight stays the same. each body reacts differently to this 'stage' we are going through.

My sleeping pattern is also out of balance. From the 7-9 hours recommended I manage half or slightly more. That appears to also have an effect on ones body weight.

And I am going to grab this 'stage' and do something about changing course. But not alone- as that hasn't worked till now. Two friends have joined me. We are our own little 'groupies' and stand tall and strong. Supporting one and other without prejudice or envy. As we each have different 'problems' and our levels of weight excess are varied.

Plan of attack:


  • Believe we/I can do this.
  • Vow solidarity without judgement
  • Be honest especially to yourself
  • Don't crash diet - starving isn't dieting
  • Be realistic- one step at a time
  • Take your time - every day is one step closer to our goal
  • Exercise - just step this up gradually
  • Celebrate each day - every day is a gift
  • Time plan - 12 months
  • Invest in yourself - you are worth it
Once a month we get together- and weigh in either at home or together ( personal option)
Keep diary - in provided exercise book. The highs and lows and if preferred the daily intake- it reduces when you realise what you are eating and when ( believe me)
Goal set - 1 kg per month off - it arrived slowly, so let it go to stay away. Crash dieting only causes a ping pong effect.
Deposit €2,00 every Monday morning into piggy bank - for a special 'girlie day' at the end of the 12 months.
Reward:  Girlie day= a treat like a facial, make over, buy a new dress or whatever and yes, a yummy lunch would be nice.

I started this adventure at a time when we had 5 dinners out in one week- and a weekend away to be followed by a birthday visit.

Before leaving, and after 2 dinners, I weighed myself- and when I came home - I was sooooo proud. I stayed the same weight. So it can be done. Believe me I had a lovely time, ate my 3 course meals and enjoyed hotel breakfasts - I just didn't go for all the extras. So silly at my age to be so actively immersed in this 'programme of own design'. But it feels good and I am going to stay focussed. 

Looking forward to July 2017 and my meeting with the scales and mirror image.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Anita I am on the same mission. Someone who lost a lot advised me to go low on carbohydrates and told me that everything that grows under the ground is bad for you except carrots and beetroot. This person lost 50 kg. Your plan sounds good Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW that is a juge weight löss. Good on your friend for that effort. Thanks for advice. Am working steadily on my 'new / old me.

      Delete