Monday 13 June 2016

North meets South: The Arrival

We diverted from the dark blue route
 - to through the GREEN AREA!
As I mentioned, my friend Annette was coming to visit from Down Under in New Zealand. I was so thrilled to be able to show her around on 'my' turf! Give her an insight into my life here.

Yes well, what can I say. Time flew and I really didn't grab the chance to write as that meant moments to catch forty winks or that special 'together moment' would have slipped through my fingers.

What a week it has been. I also have to admit that I needed a couple of days to catch my breath and regain some energy. Thing is both Annette and I aren't 35 anymore- but 63! And that is a fact.

Friday the 3rd June Annette flew into Schiphol Airport- a few minutes past the allocated time due to air traffic - and it was a wonderful moment of reunion. Although tired, Annette was keen to catch a glimpse of the dutch countryside - which she had once visited way back in '83.

Yep, that's close enough.
Looking good.
I selected a route that would also help reduce some of the speed in which she flew here- a slow, quiet route through the middle of what we call ' Het Groene Hart'. We stopped at a 'looks nothing like a dutch joint' hotel along the A2 called Hotel van de Valk, Breukelen for a coffee - hot chocolate for Annette and some down time. Here Annette started to feel 'grounded' and that she had actually arrived dawned gently. Her first Windmill photo moment happened right here and there were more to come.

Our destination was Dordrecht- and we lazily made our way - assisted by the Tomtom which was set to 'avoid highways'. ( Breukelen- Woerden- IJsselstein, along the Lek River, to Schoonhoven and ferry across then down at Groot-Ammers, along the numerous windmills and farms... to Dordrecht via te N3) Beautiful and green. Annette had come from the wintery chills of Auckland and this new fresh look came as a surprise- she hadn't thought that far ahead ( season wise).


One vivid memory Annette had from her previous visit was - patat met. So yes, we divulged... and it tasted WONDERFUL.

As I have some experience ( to put it mildy) with finding one's feet after such a long trip, is that you shouldn't go to bed too early. Around 9:30 pm I 'allowed' Annette to retire. Knowing she would have a reasonable chance of a good sleep.

Having a wee afternoon catnap to
make it to dinner and beyond!
My hubby hadn't travelled far- but took his moment anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment