Thursday 27 March 2014

Size matters- Less is more

In my previous two Blogs I mentioned wanting to be less busy and in preparation for Easter whittle down my To Do list. And like many good intentions, this one too needed the necessary discipline and perseverance to implement. I am happy to report, that despite a few setbacks I am reasonably pleased with my progress. The appointments and tasks I already had listed were minimally added to. I managed to contain myself! A succes you could say. I feel I have interpreted and understood my initiative and have acted accordingly. I look forward to the end result with exciting anticipation.

Easter, the feast of New Life, of Renewal, of promises of good things to come- I so look forward to that.

By accepting LESS in my day(s) I have achieved and had time for MORE. My 'to do list' is slowly but surely shrinking with still enough activities to keep me occupied the coming period. I LOVE the LESS IS MORE feeling- and embrace it with enthusiasm.

One of the topics in conversations around me that stands out is the discussions about ' to have's and haven't yet got! About SIZE and that it MATTERS!

Bigger wardrobes, larger home, newest appliances, more CD's and DVD's ( have you see, heard have got??) more spacious caravan, holiday further away, longer weekends. Somehow our hunger for MORE keeps increasing.

I occasionally visit the 'Kringloop" store- a secondhand chain here in the Netherlands. The word Kringloop meaning - the Recycle Circle. A place for one to bring/deposit your unwanted goods- so others can purchase these at a reduced price- second hand. What strikes me is that these stores look more and more like a Warehouse or large Home Style store filled with goods that sparkle in newness. Rejected by those who first thought they would be 'happier'  owning such articles.

Clothing racks that groan under the weight, shelving jam packed with glassware and crockery. Furniture not even outdated as it used to be the case in these type of stores. Up to the ceiling highly stacked shelving filled with unwanted bric a brac and toys. Collectables and Wantables!

Since my resolve about minimizing to maximise - I have gained new insights into the contents of my cupboards. In the past 12 months not a bric a brac niceness has entered my home and  the only new clothes have been a couple of ( practically new) hand me downs from a friend. I feel a sense of ownership and freedom to choose for LESS is MORE.

I do not profess that purchasing niceties is wrong- just that it may be useful to think twice. I believe gifts and titivating your surroundings is appropriate and can provide joy and a sense of well being. My thoughts are just my thoughts and my experiences also mine alone. I share what I think, experience and feel. My reflections on this subject I share for you to do with what you see fit!

Sometimes it is good te re-evaluate! And for me, that time is NOW! The preparation time leading up to Easter- the promise of renewal.

And..... has that time arrived for you too?




No comments:

Post a Comment