Monday 10 March 2014

Getting organised

It has been a week since my last BLOG. That isn't unusual, happens more often. Only this time the reason was different. I had painted the stairwell and it needed a few days to dry and harden before use. I know I could have 'arranged'  other ways to get to my BLOG and other 'necessary' ills - but I used this 'holiday' to enforce my discipline. No computer- no work. I did keep tabs on my Social Media as it is my life line to my children across the miles, Down Under - but NO WORK!

And that posed a dilemma. Almost as if the text urchins were toying with me. All sorts of ideas and quotes ran riot in my head- and NO, I didn't write them down but attempted to 'store them'  in my memory. It was quite a battle.

Just like a number of years ago I decided, off the cuff, to give up coffee for Lent. Just like that, cold turkey- no warning no preparation, no down time! Just like the stairs - it was an instant decision taken without thought as to the consequences!

With the cold turkey coffee event; it was extremely difficult and posed all sorts of problems. My body became unwell, derailed. The caffeine shortage affected me in ways I had not realised that it would. No way did I understand I was addicted. I drank coffee - and I was going to give it up for a few weeks- I knew I would miss it, That was the point- give up something you love! Big deal. And unexpectedly IT WAS.

Computers too can become an addiction. For many already a reality. I am a fortunate person. In my possession I have an iMac, iPhone, iPad and a laptop. Internet is available everywhere in the home and in the garden. I don't play games, well on the odd occasion while on holiday I might play Patience and I Love jigsaw puzzles. I may have used that App 5 times in te past two years. That's as far as my gaming on computers goes.

The stairs needed painting and 'today is the ideal day to do just that' was my idea at that moment. Through the window, the sun threw it's spring rays on the stairs, perfect for a slow but sure dry process.
As the paint odour penetrated the room I headed outside and spent my time getting 'rid' of winter in both the garden and the wee summer house. Both all set now to be enjoyed.

As of today my husband and I can enjoy the fruits of those flighty days- when time and weather allows. The paint on the stairs has hardened and I am once again able to sit in front of my screen and do what I need to do to get my admin up to date and commit the insights 'to paper' as it were.

I feel a sense of freedom and in charge as far as computer time is concerned. I focussed on what my routines were and have re-set my schedules to give me more 'off screen time'.

Spring, renewed energy, a fresh breeze, time to shake those winter ills off and look forward to Easter, to renewal. I aim to use Lent to clear my head and identify and rid myself of things - addictive.

There are 39 days to Easter...!! I am counting the days and aim to use the time wisely.












No comments:

Post a Comment